In our latest message on Heaven we talked about the Bema Seat of Christ. This is an evaluation of our life as a believer. Everything from the moment we placed our faith in Jesus will be evaluated. The scripture teaches us that only the things of spiritual value will withstand the evaluation. Anything that we did, pursued or spent time on that was insignificant, clutter, or without eternal value will be lost.
That made me wonder – what percentage of our life do we spend on spiritual things? How much of our lives are we truly investing in things that have eternal value? So I did a little checking on time management among Americans. Do you know how we distribute our time over the course of a year? What are the percentages?
- We give 20% of our time to work – 1700 hours
- We give 33% of our time to sleep – 2912 hours
- We give 11% of our time to watching TV – 1019 hours
- We give 3% of our time to face to face conversations – 273 hours
- We give 1/2% of our time to Bible reading and prayer – 9 min/ day
- We give less than 1/2% of our time to church – if we go 3 Sundays/month (the majority goes 1 Sunday/month)
- We give 1% of our time to spiritual things if we combine the last 2 categories – 92 hours
If we’re only spending 1% of our time on things of eternal value – not many of us should expect to be rewarded in heaven. So are we doomed when it comes to eternal rewards? What do we do?
Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father. Colossians 3:17
Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve. Colossians 3:23,24
God’s plan was never for us to earn rewards by just going to church. His plan has always been for us to take Him with us as we go through our daily activities. Whether we’re at work, home, or play – we need to live in such a way that God is honored by what we say and do. We have to include God in all of our activities and live for him in everything we do.
What’s the point? Following God’s time management plan increases our opportunity for reward from 1 to 100%. That’s a significant increase! It’s time to include God in all our activities and appointments – heaven is counting on it!